Deal would have created fifth-largest US carrier but judge said it would harm consumers by reducing competition
Low-cost air carriers JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airlines canceled their $3.8bn merger agreement on Monday, seeing no path forward after a US judge blocked the deal in January on anti-competition concerns.
A successful deal would have created the fifth-largest carrier in the United States and helped Spirit ensure its survival, but the deal had been on the ropes ever since a Boston judge said it would harm consumers by reducing competition.
More Stories
Canadian company in negotiations with Trump to mine seabed
Australian house prices hit new peak as rate cut drives buyer demand
Hyundai facing legal action over car that can be stolen ‘effortlessly in seconds’